Greenleaf Nursery Company, established in
1958, located in Park Hill, Oklahoma is a 520 acre containerized nursery, the third
largest containerized nursery in the U.S. In 1989 Greenleaf began a comprehensive
Pollution Prevention program and enlisted the help of the Oklahoma Department of
Agriculture (DOA) to achieve company goals.
The focal points of Greenleafs Pollution Prevention Program are:
- Recycling of most plastic used to cover and protect plants during cold weather
- Establishing voluntary compliance agreements with DOA concerning nutrient and pesticide
levels in irrigation tailwater
- Conversion from liquid fertilizers to topical application of slow release fertilizer
pills directly to the growing containers
- Implementing Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program. Plants are inspected for pests
prior to any pesticide use and switching to pesticides that will not move off-site with
- Construct water retention and recycling basins to prevent off-site movement of
In 1977 this facility contributed 22,743 Kg/yr of Nitrogen and 444 Kg/yr of phosphate to
the Illinois River Watershed Basin (1.1% total nutrient loading in the basin).
Nitrate-Nitrogen levels have now been reduced by 75% since 1989.
In 1992 construction of a retention and recycling system began. The $1.5 million system
has a storage capacity of 80 million gallons. This system is now being used as a model for
other containerized nurseries in Region 6, as well as nationally.
Compliance with state and federal standards for irrigation tailwater.
Improved corporate image.
Waste Stream: waste water, pesticide
runoff, plastic, fertilizer
Greenleaf Nursery Co.
HC 72 Box 163l
Park Hill, OK 74451-9500